Once again, I religiously read Bill Simmons on ESPN.com's Page 2. The man has gotten huge. Everyone that I speak to knows who I'm talking about if I talk about "The Sports Guy." I happened to be watching a show on ESPN the other day and he was a panelist. He's becoming a household name, slowly but surely because he is a brilliant writer. A sports-writer with a humorous side. I'm just a drunk writer with a oh-my-God-what-did-he-do-now side. The reason that I bring this up here is the fact that he writes columns about getting chills during movies. Well I have just finished watching a movie that gives me the chills and I'm not so sure it is as highly regarded as I would like it to be. The movie is With Honors from 1994, with Joe Pesci and Brendan Fraser, yes the same guy who was in George of the Jungle. I absolutely love With Honors, probably in my top 10 movies of all time, or of my life at least. People that know me know that I'm not big on movies that make you think and tend to lean towards brainless comedies. Well, this goes against that just a bit. You really don't need to think during the movie, but it grabs you from the start, and as far fetched as the plotline may be, it's brilliant coming-of-age story. I love it. But the chill moment is at the end when Monty (Fraser) is reading Pesci's character's obituary and says, "Montgomery Kessler will graduate life with honors." I don't know why and I think that the movie has to be seen to understand what I'm talking about. But after I watched it today, I wanted to blog about Chill Moments that I get.
Five other Chill Moments I get(in no particular order):
1)Field Of Dreams when Ray (Costner) throws with his father at the end. Whew, there's some dust every once in awhile.
2)Jerry Maguire - I know it's not manly, but it's one of my favorite movies as well. Rod Tidwell (Gooding, Jr.) at the end, his and Jerry's (Cruise) relationship at the end of that one too. Not dusty, but chilly.
3)Miracle-even though you know what's going to happen, it's chilly when they show the US beating the USSR. Awesome.
4)The Rookie-when he gets called up and gets called into his first major league game. There's about 8-10 inches of dust that gathers every time I watch that movie.
5)The Natural-when Redford's character hits the homerun and the music plays, oh man, I need a down comforter in Florida for that one.
I love the chill moments in movies. They're brilliant. I don't know if Dodgeball that's on now will give me a chill moment, but maybe when Lance Armstrong comes onto the screen. I'll watch and we'll see.
"She was easy, so was I..." - Josh Kelly's "Almost Honest"
2 comments:
I'm surprised you knew how Miracle ended... considering you were 3 years old at the time. I, on the other hand, remember watching that game in real time. On our ugly plaid couch
"Do you believe in Miracles...?
Post a Comment