Monday, August 15, 2005

Some Girls have this effect on me...

Here's a story about my summer, last summer. I was in a show in Clemson, and I guess I had a bit of a crush on a fellow cast-member. A married, fellow cast-member. Here are the events that took place. This was actually an e-mail to my brother about the situation because he called me a home-wrecker, but I'm not a home-wrecker, just a cradle robber(being that I had relations with younger student last year at Clemson.) haha. I'm neither, currently...

It all started when we were cast in the show and I wrote an e-mail to everyone in the cast that if they wanted to get together to run lines before rehearsals even started that it would be a great help to me and hopefully to them too. Well, the Princess(that's what we'll call her) and two other major characters responded to the e-mail and wanted to do so, so we planned to meet and because Princess has a 15 month old baby, we decided that it would be a good idea to meet at her house. Which was cool with us. So we did that.

Then rehearsals started and it was a bit of a bear because the director treated us like we were twelve and this being show #17 here at Clemson for me I think I know how things work and I was very professional, but she was not, so that was tiresome to me, but the Princess was always there with a smile and a kind word and we would always be doing our scenes together because she was the princess and I was the prince(which was an obvious choice to me). So as the rehearsals went on we became better and better friends and not to the extent of calling each other to go out or e-mailing or anything like that, just at rehearsals and twice when we went out as a cast during the rehearsal process. But it was just fun. We were the old people in the cast, so it was just natural that we were the ones hanging out and laughing, etc. We'd always reminisce about the old days and she wanted to know how all of my friends were doing, especially those that were in Carousel with us, etc. So we get to tech week and I have a quick change and she's up there and has to help me out. Just taking a shirt off, putting another on and a vest, while I took my pants off and had my other pair on underneath, nothing major, but everytime I would come off in act two, my previous costume was put on hangers, my prop was put back on the prop table and all I had to do was pick the costume up and bring it to my dressing room to hang up. Just little, sweet things like that. Stuff that no one had ever done for me in a show before. She was the one that I would say that I was going to be sad when the show was over and she was the one that made me look forward to coming to rehearsals because if she wasn't the princess, I would have jumped off of the building.(joke)

So on thursday of the run, I was in the hallway in front of my dressing room and she was walking down the hall and she looked sad, I said what's wrong, and she said, it's almost over. I put my arm around her and said, don't even start 'Princess', I don't even want to thinkabout it and it's not even the weekend. Friday was our cast party and once again, it was at her house. She sent the husband and daughter to the lake for the night, she called me in the morning to go to the supermarket to go shopping with her because the dept. was paying for our party, so I went, we bought shit and had the show later on that night. Then what we call, photocall, which is for archives. So we didn't get out of there until 11, and over to Shelley's by 11:15 or so. We were having a good time, laughing the whole time, drinking some beers, etc, and at like 4:15 in the morning me and four others and princess were still on the porch laughing it up and talking. The four of the others along with me stand up to leave, which meant that it was my cue to leave as well, but when I get up, shelley says, "where do you think you're going?" so I said that I would stay and help her clean the house and chat more, yada yada, and that's what happened. So at 5:30 in the morning I'm still at Princess's, the house is clean and it's time for me to go, and I do. So Saturday comes and goes, same shit at the show with my clothes on hangers. (Oh and another thing, before the start of the show, I had to stand by myself off stage for the first time I think ever in a show. Usually I had a wife or a sidekick that would enter or be waiting in the wings with me, but for this show I didn't and I hated that because I like to talk to people backstage just to calm my nerves, so, guess who would waitwith me, even though her enterance was from upstairs...Princess.) Then Sunday, I get there early so that I can shower in the dressing room after my mom and dad leave and I sign in so that the director knows we're there and I write next to my name, "the last dance :(" So I'm in my dressing room, door open putting my make-up on and Princess is the next one in, comes to the door and says, "you had to write that, break my heart already and we haven't even done the show." So then she walks into my dressing room, right next to my mirror and looks at me through the mirror with a little bit of watery eyes, and I look up at her and say, "don't even start, I'm not ready to be sad, we haven't even done the show, dont' start." She looks at me and says,"you already did" and walks out of my dressing room. Now I'm sad. You ever see a 6'3" 245 pound kid(biscuit away from 250) sad? Well, yeah, you probably have, but the dressing rooms have to be cleaned, there is way too much dust in there and some got in my eyes. So the show goes on and me and the Princess's scenes together are the best they've been, there was something more in them that night. It just felt good. I felt like I was in the zone with her on stage. So the show's over and I'm in good spirits, not too sad, but we have "strike" which means we break the whole set down and take it apart. About four times in a row, I was walking to the theater from the shop or vice versa and the princess was walking the other way. But we didn't say a word, just would keep walking by each other. So on like the fourth or fifth time, she says, "are we just gonna not say anything to each other and keep walking by each other all day?" I just kept walking, which made her laugh. So we go out to eat as a cast, and the dynamic duo are sitting next to each other as usual, and I kept telling her after dinner that I was just going to get mad at her so that I didn't have to say bye to her, but that, for some reason didn't happen. So after the meal, I had to drive the stage manager back to his dorm and she parked near me, but was talking to another cast member, I looked at the stage manager and said, just keep walking, I'mnot going to say bye to her, it'll make it easier, so I start towards my car and I hear, "Um hmmm, where do you think you're going?" And I said that Iwas leaving and she said, "I don't think so." So I walked back there and the other two people walked away and she bear hugged me and gave me a kiss on the cheek and we exchanged pleasantries and thank yous, etc. and we broke the hug after about 5 minutes and walked to our respective cars, but I got to mine sooner than she hers and I stood with my face in my arms on top of my car and just watched her get to hers at which point she said, "you're not making this easy" to which I decided, either I could run over to her and hug her again or get in the car and make my escape to which I got in the car and left. But damn, I really have to clean my car out because there was a lot of dust in it as well. That's my story, there was no ill thoughts, or anything throughout. I just know that I want a girl just like her for my wife, and it's the first time in my life that I know that, as dumb and philisophical as that sounds.

I'm a dick, but not that big of a dick!

No comments: