The Yanks just acquired Johnny Damon from those dirty Red Sux. I have been quoted many times saying, "Man, I really want to like Damon, but I can't because he's on the Red Sux." But now, I can like him. I'm going to be the first in line for the #18 Yankee Jersey with "Damon" emblazened on the back. I'm on the Damon bandwagon already. It was weird last night when I saw the "breaking news" on ESPN I was a little torn, and then I started thinking about it. It was my handshake in Jacksonville that really swayed his wanting to be a Yankee. There was a look in my eye, probably a glazed-over look after 312 beers that day, but there was still a look. People would tell me afterwards of what I should have said, but I kept it simple with a "hey Johnny, how you doin'" But my subtext was saying, "Hey Johnny, leave that team that the Mass-holes love and come play for the best." Obviously he saw that in my eyes. So I take complete and total responsibility for the Yankees getting Damon. I can like him now. It went from liking him on the A's to being a closet fan with the Sux to now being my third favorite player behind Biggio and Nick Johnson. You can also thank me because I am unshaved for three days, which doesn't mean much, but I like it right now. No real reason for doing it, just that it was a hunger strike of sorts waiting for the Yanks to sign Damon, and it worked.
Of course I'm kidding about the handshake and the beard growing although both of which actually happened. I am very excited that Johnny Damon will be patrolling center in Yankee Stadium. I know when I go back to New Jersey for the holidays, I'm going to have some old school fans including my father and his people and probably Cookie as well telling me that they don't like the move. But I'm one of those fans that likes everyone that the Yankees have, I root for each and every one of them, rarely yelling at the tv and hoping they work out. I think it's perfect that he got a four-year deal at age 32 because in all probability at age 36 he may end up like Bernie. I think we're going to get four great years out of Damon, leading off in front of that line-up and stealing bases and scoring runs. This was also a HUGE blow to the egos of New England, which is also always nice to see.
So where do I line-up to get that #18 jersey? Hopefully by the time I get back to NJ, they'll be all over Modell's Sporting Goods and I'll be right there with one in my hands, smiling. All of these people were telling me "what I should have said to Johnny Damon" when I shook his hand that fall afternoon. I think what I should have said was "Looking forward to you playing on my favorite team!"
"Now batting, for the Yankees, centerfielder, #18, Johnny...Damon, #18" - a bad Bob Sheppard impression via blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment