Friday, July 29, 2005

First Class...like me...oh wait, that's No Class

Here's a quick one for you people. The other night I'm flying back to New Jersey from Orlando, Florida and of course, I'm delayed. This wasn't any ordinary Cregan delay, this one was delayed for 3+ hours. I didn't have to worry about driving or anything, so I bee-lined it to the airport bar. I had a 23 oz. beer or two, then went down to the gate to see what the update was because they said not to stray too far because "there is a chance we'll leave early." RIGHT, like that happens for a Cregan flight. So I run into this guy that has a US Soccer shirt on. Looks pretty official, so I said, "you an US soccer fan?" (Bill Engvall of Blue Collar Comedy Tour fame would have said, "Heeeere's your sign!") And the conversation started that way, and the guy kept saying, "I hope they just let me know, so I CAN GO BACK TO THE BAR!" What a friend already. He likes USA soccer and wants to go to the bar. This guy is cool. So I go back to the bar, LEV(that's dude's name) goes back to the bar, and we're just shooting the proverbial shit, drinking down some 23oz. The bartender loved me, she was not cute at all, but very cool. They close everything down at that airport at 9, but she straggled a little bit with her cleaning and maybe gave us two more beers than I (should have had) wanted. We're now walking back to the gate to sit and wait now that the bar's closed. Lev says, "I could probably get you first class seats. I'm in first class, and I have stock in this airline, let me see what I can do."

So I'm sitting in first class, drinking my Miller Lite, watching Fever Pitch(I fell asleep because it's about the Red Sux, maybe passed out, I'll leave that up to you,) reading Lindy's Pre-Season College Football magazine that has Clemson ranked 43rd. I've never been in first class before, but apparently every beer is free. That was wonderful, but on my sixth one, the flight attendent came up to me and said, "Sir, that's the last Miller Lite on the plane." I said, "Thank you, I did good!"

So on the way back to Orlando, you know I'm going to be stuck with the crying baby, the young kids kicking the back of my chair and the fat, sweaty dude(other than me) sitting next to me. That's just the way karma works. I enjoyed my first time first class experience. But then again, I'm first class, people, especially in NJ show me that I'm #1 all the time.

No comments: