Monday, November 16, 2009

The Jinx is Around the Corner...

(photo courtesy of Vatalaro Photography Group, LLC, Tampa, FL)
it has to be. This can't possibly happen to me, or Clemson nation. My Tigers are one, count them, ONE conference win away from coming to see me in Tampa. Around 5 miles from my home, to play in the ACC Conference Championship!


I have already heard from all sorts of people talking about coming. ZDP is in. Yarbs is in. #83 is even going to get away for a bit from his newborn and get on down. I've heard from The Gal fam in NJ about flying in. 5YrEx may be on her way with her husband. I'm sure the regulars will be thinking about it as well. All of this excitement that is building up inside is very nerve-racking. {sp?}. Because we are Clemson fans, we're just sitting here waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Tigers weren't supposed to lose to an AWFUL Maryland team and did, and looked bad doing so. They weren't supposed to beat a Miami team that had (then) Heisman trophy contender at Quarterback and loaded with team speed, and they did. Because we're Clemson, we were supposed to "lay an egg" this past weekend against a mediocre NCState team, and went out and stepped on their throats. This weekend, Senior Day, against a mediocre UVa team, at home, I can't possibly see any scenario that the Tigers would lose...but then again, we're Clemson fans. There is still a feeling of something is going to happen. I hate, reiterate HATE Red Sox fans, but before 2004 all they did was wait for the inevitable to happen. The major collapse was just around the corner. It wasn't until an improbable comeback, against my beloved Yankees that "Red Sox Nation" had their fortunes turn for the better and have since become the most arrogant fan in sport. I WANT TO BE THAT OBNOXIOUS!!! Ok, maybe not THAT obnoxious, but I want that feeling. I want the feeling that Clemson WILL win the games that it's supposed to. Win the game with the Championship game on the line. Erase the demon for good. Actually, as I was writing here I just realized that I don't care if they erase the demon "for good." I just want the demon to be erased this year. Next year, and subsequent years mean nothing right now. This game is HUGE for me because for once I wouldn't have to travel 8+ hours for a game. I could wake up at 8, on gameday, in my own bed, start the tailgating, and roll over to the stadium and be there to watch my favorite sports team in my own backyard! Also, as I type this, I'm (of course) listening to my ipod, and appropriately enough, playing in the background is "Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" by The Smiths. I couldn't have said it better myself. I couldn't have set that up better!
Also, I'm seriously considering heading up to Clemson this weekend for the game for the sole reason that I want to be in attendance for when they announce the best player I've ever seen wear a Tiger uniform in his last home game. CJ Spiller better get the biggest, 5-10 minute standing ovation ever given a player/coach/whatever in the history of the school. He deserves it. I want to do my part. I've talked a lot in past posts about having "Chill Moments," I believe that may be the biggest, best one I'll have yet. I'm hoping that stadium is the loudest has ever been. I've been to some games, even before the West End Zone project was completed and had a hard time hearing myself think. FSU 1999, Miami 2003, etc. Here's to hoping it's THAT loud, if not moreso. Go Tigers! Come see me!!!

1 comment:

The Former PK said...

Good luck to your boys! That would be great!!!!!!