Monday, May 08, 2006

First Softball Game and Savannah Invasion

Friday night was the resurrection of Creegs as "softball guy." I had my first game back into the great world of men's softball with my team from Ferman Chevrolet in Brandon, FL. It was good to be part of the team, I'd been crushing the snot out of the ball in practices and now it was time to show what I had on the field. Long story short, I went 1-3, weak grounder to short and a weak pop to left, and a single. I did have the play of the game, as cited by my teammates in the sixth inning when I was on first, the #7 batter popped up to right, I just started running around the bases because there were two outs. I heard cheers from our dugout so I knew that the ball had been dropped by the outfielder. I stop at third and take a look, to which I see the ball on the ground. I rev up the motor on this steam roller and head for the plate(not a smart move.) I take one glance to my left and see that the ball is being thrown towards the plate and I just dive into home. The ball goes over the catchers head and there wasn't a play, but my uniform(yes, we have uni's, I wear #14) was covered in brown and white dirt. The white coming from the foul lines. Got back in the dugout with people laughing and giving me high-fives(I love high-fives), some spectators even told me that I couldn't even approach their cars after the game, which was pretty funny. I was spitting dirt for the next two innings. Ferman did end up losing 15-9, in a spirited effort by the car boys. Losing by six to a team that beat us by 16 the first time around. Not too shabby. We're making progress. We did have the bases loaded with one out in the seventh inning with the #4 and #5 hitters up, and that's where the night ended for us. No game next week because of Mother's Day weekend, but we're back at it the week after. Good times, I'm glad to be back, and it's a good bunch of guys playing on a not good team.

Hunter, FineCheese, and Wolv invaded the West-Central Florida coast this weekend, and good times were had once again. Cheese had her way with some Jell-o shots, Wolv was a deer in headlights when I stole him from the rest of the group to continue binge drinking. Hunt was all smiles, enjoying the sun, the bars and the food. Good people, really. Looking forward to getting back up to Savannah to continue what we started down here. And by that I mean, Hunt and Cheese decided that 12:30 was past their bedtime on Saturday night. I think Cheese went a little hard a little early with Bill Cosby's favorite dessert and she sort of crashed out early. I thought she had packed "fun cheese," but apparently she left that in savannah. It's all good though. I give her a hard time, and she doesn't deserve it. I'm spoiled, in that I get to see them a lot, and it never stops amazing me how much of a good time we have, no matter what we're doing. Went to the beach on Saturday afternoon, and had a bunch of laughs. Ate dinner at Brother Hunter's house on Saturday night, more laughs ensued, and then the bar. (Still no call from our waitress, but I'm waiting with baited breath, haha)

Mark it on your calendars. End of the month, I will be invading Savannah yet again, after a long, unnecessary hiatus from there. Attitude Improvements will be running wild! Thanks again for the visit. Always good to have a sense of "home" around.

Busy week of work for me this week. Probably won't be too much going on, but I'll keep you loyals abreast of any exciting happenings in my world. Have a great week!

1 comment:

bdonin said...

how come "cheese" and "hunter" wouldn't be caught within 2 miles of a bar in NJ, but now they drink like fish AND cheese does jello shots? what's the deal?