Monday, October 23, 2006

Pay It Forward

So yes, it's been a long hiatus between posts yet again, and yes, even bdonin.blogspot.com has been updated a few times in between my posts, but that guy still sucks at life. I can't say that, I have to "pay it forward." Here's what I mean:

I went to Clemson this weekend to watch a football game, hang with some college buddies and just have a good time. Here's how it started. I took Friday off from work, because quite honestly, there's a hotdog restaurant in Clemson that is SMACK YOUR MOMMA GOOD! Yes, it's just a hotdog, but it's awesome. I didn't find this place until I went back to work at CU. Anyway, I left early so that I could get there before it closed, then go out to dinner with a friend that works both Friday night and Saturday all-day, that I haven't seen in a few months. Anyway, those "plans" would quickly turn to no avail. I was in Ocala, about 90 miles north of Tampa when my car breaks down. On a major interstate, just loses power and I coast over to the shoulder. I do have AAA, but it's only the basic membership. That detail will come into play in a minute. The tow truck came and picked me up. I know the area pretty well and knew there was a jeep dealership relatively close, so I had it towed there. I get out of the towtruck and immediately a woman, older, but definitely not unattractive approaches me, introduces herself and asks me if I am going up for Homecoming at Clemson. I tell her that I am, as soon as I can get my car worked out. She then goes on to tell me that she saw me broken down on I-75 and then proceeded to follow me to the dealership. She continued that she too was going to the game and would be more than happy to offer me a ride, hence, the reason she followed to the dealership. At this very moment, the driver of the tow truck with both of his teeth(that's not a lie, he had one big tooth in front, and one off to the left, about three down from the first one, meth is a hell of a drug, apparently.) Anyway, he tells me I owe him 8 bucks. Doesn't explain why, or how much it was per mile over five, just tells me "Hey, you owe me 8 bucks." It's funny too, because my GPS system in my car told me the dealership was 4.4 miles away. The way that methanphetamine dude took was apparently closer to 8. Whatever, I didn't think it was that bad, and I opened my wallet to nothing. No money in it, and not an ATM to be found anywhere. I asked if she would drive me to the ATM and she just said, "(Creegs), I'll just float you 10, get me back some other time." So right there, one of the nicest things anyone has done for me, without knowing me. Then, she sits there and waits for about an hour. Mind you, I got to the dealership at around 10:15, and now it's about 11:00am. So this nice lady has been waiting with me for awhile. We had good conversation about Clemson and each other. It seemed she was trying to make me feel comfortable with her, but quite honestly, unless she had a gun in the car, I probably could have overpowered her advances towards me. Long story short, the Service Manager comes up to me and tells me that they figured out what's wrong with the car, and it won't take too long, but it will definitely be fixed that day, and I could get right back on the road and head to Clemson. So I turned down the ride, even after she waited with me for that long. It was something about not having a car up there, and being virtually powerless as to when I was able to leave on Sunday after a 14 hour day of drinking. As we were parting, I went into this whole, "I don't know how to repay you, this was the nicest thing that someone has ever done for me, following me to the dealer, giving me money, yada yada. And she says, "Consider it a gift, "PAY IT FORWARD!"

Great times this weekend, capped off with a Clemson Tiger victory in all purple uniforms. Ranked #10 in the nation, at 6-1, it's a really exciting year for the Tigers! The place was packed and loud and raucous(always wanted to use that word). ZD was in the house with his lovely bride Ho(r)ney B. Get it Honey Bee with an R mixed in. Thanks for the vodka B, got the night moving in the direction that I had envisioned. I owe you about six bottles (no mom, I didn't drink six bottles of vodka, only a little of one, but it goes way back). The drive home was a bit rough, but fine. Was in the bed at 8:30 last night. Felt good. Now it's a busy week of work, and then heading up to Lil' Beef's wedding. I got Tyka in town for a few days starting tonight. It ought to be a hectic, fun week.

Remember, Pay it Forward!

No comments: