Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Everyone's Gone...

So I've been up this morning since 5:15. A true slap in the face that the weekend was officially over, albeit, I worked yesterday, but my last guest has vacated the premises and it's back to "normal life." Citizen flew back to Montana this morning, and I'm pretty sure I always write about how I get sad when people leave me, but this time, I got sad when everyone left...oh wait, I just said that. Anyway, on to the weekend that was.

Gasparilla is the annual Pirate Day in Tampa, hence the nickname of the NFL team here in town. The festival is a celebration of famed pirate Jose Gaspar (about as real as the Tooth Fairy, sorry kids. I won't say Santa Claus, because the verdict's still out on that one. If I find out he's a sham, I'll let you know), pillaging the city and providing a little bit of unrest for a few hours. The Mayor surrenders the key to the city to Mr. Gaspar, and he does to the city what he will, and then at the end of the day, the Mayor gets it back and order is restored. Or something like that. I've never seen either the handing over of the key, or the end of the parade...er, the Mayor wrestling it back from the Pirates. The day starts like any other here on the weekend, with a huge breakfast made by my neighbors and there may be an adult beverage or two involved, and the revelry begins and lasts for as long as you can. The first part is the "Floatilla" where the invasion begins. Boats lead "The Gaspar" into the city. (see www.wanderinglavignes.blogspot.com for pictures of the boats, and for a good outsiders view of our party) Sidebar here: I was in bed by 11, and probably could have been there by 8.

Beef, -ette, Citizen and 'Steens all invaded my apartment this weekend and I could not have asked for a better group. -ette was a little skeptical at first because of the stories from years past and didn't know she could hang. She did, and then some! My dishes are clean because of her and 'Steens, ha. Ok, that's not why she could hang, but it was because of her and lil Beef that I was able to add to the breakfast. I went to the store and got the ingredients to a SHP "reunion" staple. The famed Hunter-family breakfast caserole. It was a big hit, apparently by the fact that there was none left when we got back from the boat parade.

But the real reason to the message here today was the fact that I had four great friends come to town, spend their hard earned money to come hang out with me and have a good little vacation from reality for a weekend and to be a little sappy for a second, I really appreciate that greatly. I'm not sure I said that when they were here or when they were leaving, but I love having people here, and the people that I had here were four of the absolute finest I could ask for. Hadn't seen 'Steens since '03, Citizen since last year to the week, and the lil Beefs since Christmas time. The buildup is always amazing. Tickets were bought months in advance (what's that all about? Buying tickets early??? haha), and talk of the visit were rampant, especially between 'Steens, Polly Jo and I. (More on that in a minute.) Then the weekend gets here, 'Steens is in on Thursday and then the rest of the crew on Friday and it's on. I guess it's the go-go-go attitude of the weekend that makes it fly by, but I woke up Sunday morning, looked at 'Steens and the Clan de la Beef and realized that it was over. Just like that. Then at the airport, I found myself hanging my head and dragging my feet after everyone was off. There was a little bit of dust in the Tampa Airport, but not enough to water the eyes, just put a little lump in the throat. When 'Steens was about to go through, she looked at me and said, "I don't know when we're going to see each other again..." to which I responded, "next time! We'll see each other next time." I was happy with my response, until the reality of the situation hit and I realized that I'm not sure when next time will be. Hopefully sooner rather than later, and I believe that to be the case...at least I hope so. I know I'll see the Beef Clan sooner rather than later, and hope that Citizen moves somewhere closer to the east coast or at least to a place that doesn't take 16 connection flights to get to, but I'll at least see him next year, and he knows he's always got a "home" here in Tampa. For now, I can't wait to have to say that I'll see you "next time..." the next time!

So much fun was had, but that was not without some bad news, or not so good news. Polly Jo was slated to come to the festivities and would have reconnected with 'Steens for the first time in 8 years (I think). She was hit by a car in Washington D.C. the saturday before she was to come here while stepping off a curb. I don't know all the details of the horrible accident, but the one thing I do know, and the one amazing thing that came out of it is that she's ok. I use ok, and not great, because I'm not sure you initially come out of that "great," but I know that she was not nearly as injured as she could have been, and for that, I'm tremendously greatful! Polly Jo, you were missed tremendously! Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery and the next debaucherous venture with 'Steens, you and I!

Really looking forward to "NEXT TIME!!!"

1 comment:

The Former PK said...

Well said, well said. Although, you should do a whole post about the debaucherous (is that a word?) events. I'm e-mailing you pictures and well, pictures speak 1,000 words.

The weekend did fly and I'm glad I was able to "hang!" I remember when I was all whiny saying I shouldn't go, but I'm so glad I did!