Tuesday, June 12, 2007

One Of Those Experiences

So I had something happen to me not too long ago that I am now comfortable writing about. I traveled to Virginia a few weeks back. I went to a party there with a couple of people I actually knew, and more people that I didn't. I was drinking my vodka/iced tea concoction as per usual and was doing a bang up job on the bottle. It was late and I needed more iced tea. One of my friends' friends said that his buddy was headed out to the store and that I could go with him. I didn't think anything of it, got in the car and was on our way. As many years that I spent in Virginia, I had never been on these extreme back roads. Going down the back roads at like 80mph. I was buzzed pretty good, so I didn't really think about it. Almost immediately and non-chalantly, this gentleman driving the car looks over at me and says, "Can you keep a secret?" I say, "Absolutely, what's up?" To which he responds, "I'm 'bout to get some blow." At this point, I don't know this gentleman at all, I'm thinking that I'm about to die in a drug deal gone bad. He then goes on to tell me that he had two buddies killed the week before in the same sort of thing we were about to do. Now I'm not naive, but not only have I never bought drugs before, I've never been in on a drug deal before at all. I can see it happening, I'm about to be in the headlines of the local newspaper. "Two Killed In Drug Deal Gone Bad." But it'll be a local newspaper that no one reads because we are in the middle of Nowhere, VA. We're now traveling at speeds well over 80 on borderline dirt roads. I'm drinking my vodka/iced tea/red bull mix, of course, EATING the cup with nervousness. Now is where things get even more dicey then they were previous. We pull into a deserted laundromat and turn the lights off on the car. Now the dude driving is getting antsy. He's looking in his rearview, his side mirrors, eyes darting every which way. With my numerous years of acting training, I'm trying to act like it's no big deal and that I've done this twelve...hundred times before. Finally, we here a "system bumping" towards the back of the car. The tall, skinny dude comes to the window, the two do a high-five of sorts, and the window closes, the car gets put into drive and we're off again. I'm astounded at the smooth-ness of this transaction. I'm still worried that the car will bump us off the road into a ditch, rob us, slit our throats, the whole nine. Didn't happen. He hands me the "bag." He says, "that looks good, don't it?" To which I respond, "yes sir!" and hand it back to him. He then grabs a dollar bill, folds it into this weird pocket shape and puts a "rock" into it and begins to start slamming it against the steering wheel. Then grabs another dollar and makes it look like a "U" shape. He pours the "blow" into the "U" and starts snorting away, while driving 80+ with beer in the cup holder and me with my vodka yum-yum. He then offers it to me. To which I politely decline because my heart was already beating at 160 beats per minute, it would have surely exploded if I had breathed the stuff...probably the wrong anaolgy there. Anyway, we get back to the party, where I apparently never told anyone I was leaving. The gentleman that was "coked up" told me not to tell anyone where we just went and that we went to all sorts of gas stations but they were closed. I obliged for about ten minutes upon our arrival, when I get up to the kitchen and there's an argument ensuing with my driver and another patron of the party. Apparently, the driver just whipped out his stash at the party and started snorting away, to which people took exception.

Needless to say, back in Cancun, when me and Kid saw the kids from Kings College "partying" as they called it, I will never be comfortable around that shit, nor will I ever do anything that can KILL me if I do too much of it IMMEDIATELY! So in short, this Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by yours truly.

2 comments:

little beef said...

Damn that place in VA sounds like a shithole. What kind of people are you hanging out with? Did he at least offer you a jacuzzi?

bdonin said...

JL - who the fuck do you hang out with down there?